Random Thoughts

Posted by : Rev. Ouabache | Thursday, November 19, 2009 | Published in


Yeah yeah... I haven't been doing much lately. But I have a perfectly good excuse. I'm in the middle of a killer stretch at work: 17 days in a row, with several 12 and 13 hour shifts mixed in the middle. So I'm a bit run down and don't feel like clackety-clacking much. All I'm saying is that if you are planning on enjoying a nice fizzy beverage with your upcoming holiday meals: YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

Anyways, to tide you over here a few random thoughts, cool links, and shitz.

Jen over at Blag Hag has been doing a lot of interesting local (for me) stories lately. To summarize, Purdue has a homophobic librarian/professor that blogs at ClownHall, PZ Myers gave an interesting talk at Purdue, and Indianapolis Public Schools are currently blocking websites on Wicca, Witchcraft, Satanism, and atheism.

Random thought: Einstein was probably working on night shift when he came up with the theory of relativity. Working crazy hours where you don't know what year it is, let alone what day, can definitely make anyone think that time is relative and dependent on the observer.

Speaking of time: My current favorite Wikipedia page is the List of Musical Works in Unusual Time Signatures. I didn't expect a bunch of songs that I like to show up there. I'm starting to suspect that 5/4 is the best time signature ever. Check this list out: "Mars, the Bringer of War" by Gustav Holst, the Mission Impossible theme song, "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Happiness is a Warm Gun" by the Beatles, "15 Steps" by Radiohead, "Vicarious" by Tool, and, a song I now have more appreciation for, "Four Sticks" by Led Zeppelin. I'll give a special nod to "Shoreline" by Broken Social Scene which is in 7/4 and has some awesome vocals by Feist.

I've also been obsessed with a couple of British bands lately, Pulp and Psychedelic Furs. Pulp mainly because of the song "Have You Seen Her Lately?" Very underrated song, but I'm dying to hear someone do it as a country song. Actually, I think it would be pretty awesome in any genre, but country would be funniest. The Psychedelic Furs because I felt the weird need to go back and listen to a four month old episode of Coverville. Their lead singer Richard Butler confounds the hell out of me because he can write some damn good songs like "Pretty in Pink", "The Ghost in You", "Love My Way", and "Heaven" but then ruins them with his awful singing voice. They would have been an even bigger band in the 80s if they had bothered to hire someone else to sing.

Twitter stuff: I'm liking the new List option and hating the new Retweeting format. The lists are pretty handy for grouping your followers and keeping everyone straight. Much better than the Group format on Tweetdeck. It's been interesting to see what lists people have been putting me on. It's mostly Skeptic, Atheist, and Discordian. I'm still not sure why Maggie McFee (@tankgrrl) as a "vidnerd". I don't make videos and only occasionally link to them on Twitter. As for the rebooting of the ReTweeting: Fail! The previous system of having to copypasta everything wasn't cutting it but the current version isn't that great either. I would have been fine with a ReTweet button like almost all of the apps have. Stop complicating it, Twitter!!! As always, follow me on Twitter (@Jablair51), add me to all of your lists, TWEET ME BACK!

Ok, that's it for me now. I've run out of things to say. When my schedule gets back to normal I'll try to post more often with interesting stuff. Any question/comments, leave me a message. Goodbye!

(3) Comments

  1. BeamStalk said...

    Since you linked a Chaos symbol, can I ask for, "Blood for the Blood God and Skulls for the Skull throne"?

    Good luck with work, blog when you can, that is what I do, and don't worry about it all too much. I will add you on twitter when I get home if I haven't added you already.

    November 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM
  2. Rev. Ouabache said...

    Not a Warhammer fan, sorry. I'm pretty sure that they stole it from Crowley, just like the Discordians and Chaos Magicians did.

    I know I shouldn't fret about blogging so much but it starts to bug me if I don't post something at least 2 or 3 times a week. That's why I end up post videos so much. They are good filler and calms my nerves a bit. ;)

    And sorry about taking a day and a half to approve your comment. The moderation system on here blows/I have no idea what I'm doing.

    November 20, 2009 at 2:54 PM
  3. maggie said...

    Oops! Added you to the wrong list. Fixed!
    Maggie

    December 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Leave a Response